We earlier covered what a pan card is and when it is needed.Here we detail the steps to make a PAN Card Application Online.
- 1. Click the above green button or go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/index.html
- 2. Choose the Application Type i.e. Form 49A for Indian Citizen and Form 49AA for a Foreign Citizen applying for a pan card.
- 3. Choose the appropriate category i.e. income tax filing status like Individual, Association of Persons (AOP), body of individuals (BOI), Hindu undivided Family (HUF), Trust, Company, Limited Liability Partnership firm (LLP), firm etc.
- 4. Fill all the relevant applicant information and click the Submit button.
- 5. Click “Continue with Pan application form” button and fill all the particulars like Personal Details, Contact Details, AO Code and Document Details. Complete all the information and click the Submit button.
You will be taken to the following screen.
The following are the Dos:
- 1. Do use ‘Form 49A’ for making application for allotment of PAN.
- 2. Do fill the application in block letters in English and preferably with black ink.
- 3. Do paste a recent color photograph (size 3.5 cm X 2.5 cm).
- 4. Do provide the signature within the box.
- 5. If thumb impression is put on the application form, do get the thumb impression attested by Magistrate or a Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.
- 6. Do provide correct AO code in the application.
- 7. Do specify AO code as below if the applicant is a “Defence” employee
- Army – PNE W 55 3
- Navy – MUM W 11 8
- Air Force – DEL W 72 2
- 8. Do attach Proof of Identity (POI) and Proof of Address (POA) as per Rule 114 (4) of Income Tax Rules, 1962.
- 9. Do provide the POI and POA which have name exactly as written in the application.
- 10. Do provide details of Representative Assessee in column 14 of application form, if applicant is Minor, Idiot, Lunatic or Deceased.
- 11. Do provide POI and POA for Representative Assessee also, if Representative Assessee is appointed.
- 12. Do write the complete postal address in the application with landmark.
- 13. Do mention correct pin code in the address field.
- 14. Do mention telephone number or e-mail id in the application.
The following are the Don’ts:
- 1. Do not overwrite or make corrections in the application.
- 2. Do not pin or staple the photograph.
- 3. Do not sign across the box (i.e. signature should be within the box)
- 4. Do not provide POI and POA which are not in the name of the applicant.
- 5. Do not write any additional details (date, designation, rank, etc.) along with the signature in the box.
- 6. Do not mention Husband’s name in the Father’s Name column.
- 7. Do not abbreviate your name or do not use initials.
- 8. Do not apply for a new PAN if you already have one.
Click on the link “Online Application for New PAN (Form 49A)” to fill up Form 49A. You will be shown the guidelines.These are given below for your reference.After reading through the guidelines, scroll down to the bottom, select the Applicant category from the drop-down and click submit.
You will be taken to an online Form 49A.Read the instructions, fill up the details and click Submit at the bottom. You will be given 15 digit unique Acknowledgment Number to track the application status.Print this acknowledgment. Affix a color photo on the acknowledgment and sign at relevant places. Pay the requisite fees ( Rs. 94/- ) by credit or debit card. Send the completed acknowledgment, a proof of address and a proof of identity to ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit, National Securities Depository Limited, 3rd floor, Sapphire Chambers, Pune 411045’. Your PAN will be delivered at your doorsteps!
- 1. PAN Card will also be dispatched outside India for a fee of Rs. 744.
- For New PAN applications from “Individual” and “HUF” applicants, if “Address for Communication” is selected as Office, then Proof of Office Address along with Proof of residential address are to be submitted to NSDL w.e.f. applications made on and after 1st November 2009
That is all folks!
Read through the following guidelines For PAN Card Application Online:
1. STEPS FOR ONLINE APPLICATION FOR PAN (FORM 49A)
- a. Only Indian citizens should use this form for submitting application for allotment of PAN. Indian citizens located outside India should also use this form.
- b. Applicant will initially select Form 49A along with category and title of the applicant and enter the required details and submit the form. A token number will be generated and displayed to the applicant before filling the form. This token number would also be sent on email Id (provided in the application) for reference purpose. There is a facility to save the details entered in the application form such that this data can be viewed by the applicant prior to its final submission by using this temporary token number.
- c. Applicant can select any one of the following four options while filling online PAN application –
c.1. Physical acknowledgement : Applicant has to print the successfully generated application form, affix recent color photographs, duly sign in the space provided, & forward along with prescribed supporting documents to NSDL e-Gov at below specified address.
c.2. Digital Signature Certificate (DSC): In DSC option, an applicant needs to upload scanned images (as per defined parameters) of photo, signature and supporting documents while making application. No need to send PAN application form and supporting document to NSDL e-Gov.
c.3. Aadhaar based e-Sign: In Aadhaar based e-Sign option, an applicant needs to upload scanned images (as per defined parameters) of photo, signature and supporting documents while making application. Aadhaar would be considered as supporting document. No need to send PAN application form and supporting document to NSDL e-Gov.
c.4. Aadhaar based e-KYC : In Aadhaar based e-KYC option, Aadhaar details would be considered as PAN application details (Name, Date of birth, Gender, Residential Address, Email ID, Mobile Number & Photograph) and Aadhaar as supporting document and would be forwarded to Income Tax Department for allotment of PAN. All these fields are non-editable. The photograph used in Aadhaar card would be used in PAN card and there is no need to upload supporting document, Photo and Signature. PAN card will be dispatched at address mentioned in Aadhaar. No need to send PAN application form and supporting document to NSDL e-Gov.
- d. If the data submitted fails in any format level validation, a response indicating the error(s) will be displayed on the screen. The applicant shall rectify the error(s) and re-submit the form.
- e. If there are no format level error(s), a confirmation screen with data filled by the applicant will be displayed. The applicant may either edit or confirm the same.
- f. If communication address is within India, then the fee for processing PAN application is Rs. 107.00 (Rs. 93.00 + 15% service tax). Payment can be made either by Demand Draft Credit Card / Debit Card Net Banking. If any of addresses i.e. office address or residential address is a foreign address, the payment can be made only through credit card/debit card or demand draft payable at Mumbai.
- g. If communication Address is outside India, then the fee for processing PAN application is Rs. 994.00 [(Application fee Rs. 93.00 + Dispatch Charges Rs.771.00) + 15% service tax]. Payment can be made only by credit card / debit card or demand draft payable at Mumbai. At present this facility is available for a select list of countries. Applicants from other countries may contact NSDL e-Gov at the contact details given in point (5) below.
- h. Demand draft shall be in favour of ‘NSDL – PAN’ and should be payable at Mumbai.
i.Name of the applicant and the acknowledgment number should be mentioned on the reverse of the demand draft.
- j. Payment of application fee for PAN application done online through DSC or e-Sign option can be done using Credit card / Debit card or Net banking facility only.
- k. Credit card / Debit card / Net banking payment – Persons authorised to make Credit card / Debit card / Net banking payment are as below:
Category of Applicant Payment by Credit Card / Debit Card / Net Banking can be made by / for
Individual Self, immediate family members (parents, spouse, children)
HUF Karta of the HUF
Company Any Director of the Company
Firm/ Limited Liability Partnership Any Partner of the Firm/ LLP
Association of Person(s) / Body of Individuals / Association of Person(s) Trust / Artificial Juridical Person / Local Authority Authorised Signatory covered under section 140 of Income Tax Act, 1961
Applicants making online payment using credit card / debit card will be charged an additional charge of up to 2% (plus applicable taxes) of application fee by the bank providing gateway facility. Additionally, the conversion/exchange rates may also be levied by the card issuing bank, as per prevailing rates. Applicants making payment through Net Banking facility will be charged an additional surcharge of Rs. 4.00 + service tax for payment gateway facility.
On successful credit card / debit card / net banking payment, acknowledgment will be displayed. Applicant shall save and print the acknowledgment and send it to NSDL e-Gov as mentioned in point ‘4. Mode of Submission of Documents’ below.
- l. Aadhaar: In case Aadhaar number of Individual applicant is entered in the application form, then proof of Aadhaar along with supporting documents is to be submitted to NSDL e-Gov. If copy of Aadhaar is selected as Proof of Identity/Address/date of birth, then it is mandatory to enter Aadhaar number. In case applicant is a MINOR, Aadhaar of minor should be mentioned in the application form.(i.e. Do not mention Representative Assessee’s Aadhaar number) Aadhaar number (if provided) would be authenticated using applicant’s details as mentioned in application form.
- m. To check status of online payment or to regenerate acknowledgement receipt, please click here (Application made from July 16, 2016 onwards) or here (Application made on or before July 15, 2016) and fill details accordingly.
- n. On confirmation and in case of credit card / debit card / net banking payment (on successful payment), an acknowledgment screen with downloadable acknowledgement receipt will be displayed. An email containing this acknowledgement receipt (in PDF) as well as payment receipt (in PDF) as attachments will be sent to applicant’s email ID mentioned in the application.
- o. Applicant shall save and print this acknowledgment.
- p. ‘Individual’ applicants making “Application for allotment of new PAN” should affix two recent colour photographs (3.5 cm x 2.5 cm) in the space provided in the acknowledgment. The photograph should not be stapled or clipped to the acknowledgment. (The clarity of the image on PAN card will depend on the quality and clarity of the photograph affixed on the form).
- q. Signature / Left hand thumb impression should be provided across the photo affixed on the left side of the acknowledgement in such a manner that portion of signature/impression is on photo as well as on acknowledgement receipt.
- r. The signature/ left thumb impression should not be on the photograph affixed on right side of the acknowledgement and should only be within the box provided in the acknowledgment. If there is any mark on this photograph such that it hinders the clear visibility of the face of the applicant, the application will not be accepted.
- s. In case of non-individual PAN applicants, the acknowledgement receipt shall be signed by the authorized signatory (Karta in case of HUF, Director in case of Company, Partner in case of Partnership Firm / LLP, Trustee in case of Trust and Authorized signatory in remaining categories).
- t. Thumb impression, if used, should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.
- u. The acknowledgment duly signed, affixed with photographs (in case of ‘Individuals’) along with demand draft, if any, and proof of identity, proof of address and proof of date of birth (applicable for Individuals & Karta of HUF) to be sent to NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016’.
- v. In case, AADHAAR is mentioned in the application (applicable for Individuals only), then the copy of AADHAAR allotment letter should also be enclosed along with the acknowledgement
- w. Superscribe the envelope with ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN — N-15 digit Acknowledgement Number’ (e.g. ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN — N-881010200000097’).
- x. Your acknowledgment, demand draft, if any, and proofs, should reach NSDL e-Gov within 15 days from the date of online application. Above-mentioned guidelines would not be applicable in case of DSC or Aadhaar based e-Sign online PAN application.
- y. Applications received with demand draft as mode of payment shall be processed only on receipt of relevant proofs and realisation of payment.
- z. Applications received with credit card / debit card / net banking as mode of payment shall be processed on receipt of relevant documents (acknowledgment and proofs).
4. MODE OF SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS
1. Name in the application should be same as mentioned in the proof of identity, proof of address & proof of date of birth.
2. Individuals, HUFs, Body of Individuals, Association of Persons & Artificial Juridical Person should provide proof of address of residence stated in the application.
5. CONTACT US
aa. For more information Call PAN/TDS Call Centre at 020 – 27218080
Fax: 020-27218081 E-mail us at: email@example.com
SMS NSDLPAN 15 digit acknowledgement no. & send to 57575 to obtain application status
Write to: INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT (Managed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited), 5th Floor, Mantri
Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016.