We earlier covered details on who need to File an Income Tax Return in India and the Income Tax Forms in which such returns need to be furnished. The return form, along with copies of necessary supporting documents, has to be filed at the appropriate income tax office or special counters set up for this purpose by Income Tax Department, India.
While E-Filing of Income Tax Returns is mandatory for a company and a firm liable to audit under section 44AB of the IT Act, it is optional for other categories of Indian Direct tax payers.There are three methods for furnishing the Income Tax Returns electronically.
- You may choose to use a digital signature and avoid the need to submit any paper return.
- If you choose to file the return without a digital signature, you may have file the ITR-V form with the income tax department. This form serves the dual purpose of a receipt and the verification form.
- You may also choose to file the Income tax returns through an intermediary who would do e-filing on your behalf and also assist you in filing the ITR-V Form
How to do E-filing of Income Tax Return Online?
Register on incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and create a user id/password. The following is a flowchart of steps to file an income tax return online.
Check the heads of income under which the tax payer would be assessed and determine the appropriate Income Tax Return.
- Select the appropriate type of Return from the various Indian Income Tax Forms for different assessees.
- Download the software for preparing the selected Return from incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Fill in all the relevant details in the income tax return.
- If there is any tax payable, make the Income Tax Payment Online and obtain a challan counterfoil with CIN.
- Complete the income tax return by filling it with all details like the challan counterfoil with CIN, bank name and all other relevant payment details for the e-payment.
- Next, use the software to generate a XML file from the completed income tax return (XML is a format in which the IT department captures the required information directly into its database).
- Login to incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on the relevant form on the left panel and select “Submit Return“.
- Browse to select the generated XML file from your computer and click the “Upload” button.
- After the file gets uploaded to the servers of the IT department, you will be shown the acknowledgment details for the submitted return. Click on “Print” to generate a printout of acknowledgment/ITR-V Form.
If you have digitally signed the return, the E-filing process is fully completed on generation of the “Acknowledgment”. You may take a printout of the Acknowledgment and keep it in a safe location for your record.
If the return is not digitally signed, an ITR-V Form is generated after the successful upload of the e-Return. You may then have to take a print out of the form. This serves the dual purpose of an acknowledgment and a verification form. The tax payer has to fill-up the verification section of the form and verify the same. A duly verified ITR-V form shall then be submitted to the local Income Tax Office, within 15 days of filing the returns electronically. This complete the process of E-filing of Income Tax Return for non-digitally signed Returns.
Alternatively, you can download and print a pan application form, fill up the details and submit it at the designated counters.
If you had submitted the form online, you can also know pan card status online.
Make e-filing of income tax return and beat the last minute rush!